Touring the Organ
Ever wonder about the inner workings of a pipe organ. The link below leads to a clip featuring the organ at Holy Trinity and it’s inner workings. There’s a lot more to a large pipe organ than you might think.
The present organ at Holy Trinity was constructed and installed in 1912 by the Canadian Organ COmpany. It was much smaller then than it is presently. It was revised in the ’50s by Casavant, in the ’60s by Hill, Norman and Beard of London, England at which time the Positiv division was added. The organ was again revised and re-winded in the ’90s and a new reed stop “Chalameu” added to the Swell division at that time.
The organ has 4 Manuals (keyboards) and a Pedal board, and comprises of 60 speaking stops, 65 ranks of pipes adding up to app0roximately 4,000 pipes varying from the length of a pencil to 20 feet. The organ does indeed live up to its reputation of being the “King of Instruments” because of its vast tonal range from the quietest whisper to the “roar” possible with many stops being used at once.
-From the Pipes Alive Bulletin